Sunday 3 August 2008

More on Miliband

So my friend Dave is back in the news again. While I don't blog on general politics much (being a single-issue man mostly) I do read a lot of other blogs/articles/newspapers on the topic.

When I blogged about Mr Miliband previously, I did so because I saw him as a potential PM in waiting. This situation hasn't changed and if anything the media are only exacerbating the situation. First he's preparing a bid, next he has supporters, then - backbenchers are telling Gordon to sack him. Of course, my personal support for and liking of David Miliband hasn't changed (so much so that I've joined this little group ). That said, I'm increasingly of the view that all this speculation really isn't helping matters. If Brown was willing (or was quietly persuaded) to go and Miliband stepped in, fair enough. Call a General Election if necessary and come what may for the party. If Brown is determined to stay on as leader for the rest of Labours term in office, with the consent of the party, that would also be acceptable to me. But if there is one thing guarenteed to do the party in, it is infighting.

Much has been written elsewhere on the potential catastrophe that is infighting within the Labour Party, so I won't dwell on it. Suffice to say that I would personally be behind Brown or Miliband, depending on circumstances; but if the party decends into constant backstabbing and rumours about leadership challenges, then there is no way it will regain the trust of the electorate before the next election.

No comments: